Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Spirt

As I sit here listening to Faith Hill's where are you Christmas it makes me stop and think about what Christmas is really about it. This year it just doesn't feel like it has been Christmas time since I have gotten home from school. I don't know why but for some reason I just can't seem to get into the Christmas spirit. It's weird to me because Christmas is my favorite holiday. It is a time where I get to spend time with my family. It is a time to reflect back on the year that you have had and at the end of it all you can basically start anew. This year it has been hard for me to really reflect on my year and see where it has been and where it is going because at this point in my life I am not really sure where my life is going. It has also been a hard time because as I think about the year that I have had it just makes all these different memories come up of different people who have come in to my life and then they end up leaving. It makes me wonder what happened.What made them leave. The biggest thing on my mind lately is definitely Christmas but not about the presents or Santa Clause but what Christmas has become.

Christmas started because of Christ birth. It started as a celebration for the world. Christ came into this world to give all of us another chance. I look around and all I see is people going out and shopping and trying their hardest to get the latest and greatest things for the children or for their family members. Since when did Christmas become about just presents. Since when did Christmas started to stress people out and to make them rude to the people around them. That to me does not sound like Christmas at all. I don't even know what that sounds like. It almost like we were given this amazing gift but we want to be these spoiled little brats and we want something that is better. What is better than getting another chance because of Christ's birth? I am not saying that I always think about this because honestly I don't. It hardly crosses my mind at Christmas time. It usually all about the presents and what new things that I can get. It really is never about me being given the greatest gift of all already. It always what can I get that was better than last year or what can I get that is better than the things that I already have? That's not how my mind or anyone's mind should work.

A friend of mine reminded me of something that is very important. Some people in this world don't get to get presents on Christmas because their families can't afford it. I sometimes forget that. That there are people out there that are way worse off than I am or than I ever will be. At Christmas time I think that we become so consumed by the holiday itself that we forget the true meaning of Christmas we forget what it really is all about. The reason why the holiday even exist in the first place. Instead we are so concerned with the present and the decorations that we totally look over the fact that none of that matters in the end. The presents will get old the decorations will be taken down and then what are you left with? But if we remember the true meaning of Christmas then when the presents get old and the decorations are taken down we have something that is pretty amazing still left. Something that gives us a second chance at this whole life thing.

We need to stop caring about the presents and the decorations and focus on what is really important at Christmas time. It is a time that we get to see our families that we haven't seen in a while. It is a time to just relax and have a good time. It is a time to remember and celebrate the birth of Jesus. I think sometimes everyone needs to be reminded of this. While it has been hard for me to get into the Christmas spirit this year I know when tomorrow comes that spirit with come right along with it.

0 comments:

Pages

About Me

My photo
I am an Indiana girl who loves fashion and has always had dreams of owning her own boutique.

Followers

Powered by Blogger.